Monday, April 28, 2008

Tiffany Knopow




My work can be viewed at http://www.tiffanyknopow.com/

I am interested in creating systems to remember things that are overlooked or forgotten. Cataloguing, record keeping, and archiving become important parts of preserving the overlooked items. Methods or recording information practiced by different disciplines (archeology, mathematics, and information technology) become part of my own system of recording.

Eventually, the objects and/or the record of the objects become part of an archive to preserve the item for examination in the future.The work arises out of my own fear of forgetting. By creating multiple systems for the overlooked object to be recorded (installation, print series, website, or collection), I am backing up my memory. At the same time I attempt to create aids for others to understand the overlooked object. Recording the overlooked elevates it to a new importance while at the same time forcing the viewer to look at it. Now the overlooked object becomes the looked at object, the remembered.

No comments: